Roku delivered significantly sturdy Q2 2018 monetary outcomes. Sturdy energetic account progress expanded the attain and scale of our TV streaming platform, whereas on the identical time Roku captured a much bigger share of TV promoting budgets and continued progress on monetization. Our investments are delivering a greater streaming expertise for customers, larger audiences for content material house owners, and simpler advertising and marketing instruments for manufacturers. We’re elevating our full 12 months 2018 outlook and imagine Roku is well-positioned to grab the numerous alternatives being created by the transition to streaming.
The Roku Channel is now out there to everybody — at no cost — by way of a web site.
The large information, although, is that you just now not even want a Roku system — both of its streaming containers or sticks, or a Roku TV — to observe free content material from Roku. All you may want is a Roku account, and to move to TheRokuChannel.com from an internet browser to observe the free Roku Channel on-line, which options free information, films and different TV reveals.
Is that this a ploy to get of us to enroll in a Roku account? Completely. And it is a good one. As well as, Roku is altering up its residence display screen on its units to floor free content material from The Roku Channel, ABC, Fox, The CW, Freeform, Pluto TV, and extra, underneath the “Featured Free” umbrella.
From the announcement:
“We wish to be the perfect vacation spot at no cost streaming leisure. We’re delighted to ship much more worth to our prospects with out subscriptions, difficult logins or charges,” mentioned Rob Holmes, Roku’s Vice President of Programming and Engagement. “By increasing The Roku Channel to the Net, we’re broadening the entry factors to high-quality, free streaming leisure. With Featured Free, we’re making it straightforward for our prospects to see the nice, free content material already out there on the Roku platform in a single place, whereas creating worth for our content material suppliers by connecting them with Roku’s rising viewers.”
Here is what else it’s worthwhile to know:
- Roku now has some 22 million energetic accounts, up 46 % 12 months over 12 months for the quarter.
- That is up from 20.eight million energetic accounts on the finish of Q1.
- Roku has added almost 7 million web new energetic accounts prior to now 12 months.
- Platform income was up 96 % YoT at $90.three million.
- Gross revenue landed at $77.eight million for the quarter — up 107 % YoT.
- (That is counting an anticipated further $eight.9 million from “potential IP licensing liabilities that haven’t materialized.)
- The variety of hours of TV streamed was up 57 % YoT at 5.5 billion hours.
- The quickest progress for these streaming hours got here from Roku TVs, which doubled their streaming time YoY.